Sunday, April 13, 2014

Thoughts and updates

"The message was fine, but it really didn't apply to me." I've heard those words numerous times when I ask about what some one thought about the preaching at church. And though there are multiple things I dislike about that statement, my answer today is "How in the world do you know that? You have no idea what your life has in store. It may apply directly to you, just not now. So listen up!"

I've been going to church for as long as I can remember which means I have heard roughly 1400 sermons then bam! my husband has Cancer and I have to respond to that. In one moment I can hear my sunday school teachers telling me to not let satan blow out this little light of mine and that I have the peace that passes understanding down in my heart. I can hear my youth pastors telling me to cast my cares upon Jesus because He cares for me and to be deeply rooted in the Word of God. I hear my pastors telling me that God never promised an easy life and to not be shocked when difficulty comes. That sin will one day be erased in it's entirety in heaven, that I have hope, that God will never leave me nor forsake me, to be bold, be strong and have faith. So many sermons come to mind, life is hard but these sermons have helped me. Not all of them applied directly to the situation I was facing at the time but they do apply to me, they help me, they guide me. Wise men and women have taught me how to deal with what we are going through before either of us knew what that was, and I am so grateful for that.

There is one thing that they have all taught me though, that I am a sinner. That my sin stands in between me and God and there is nothing that I can do to make me perfect enough to be able to approach God myself. That God made a way for Jesus to pay for my sin on the cross so that sin could be conquered and that I could spend eternity with Him. That Jesus didn't stay dead but rose again and because of Him, I am able to have a relationship with God. This is what allows Stuart and I to be able to handle the life that God has given us, because we know that God has given us life eternal.

It's why we are excited to celebrate Easter this coming Sunday. This hope becomes so vital in the face of something so scary. We would love to celebrate with you. If you don't have a place to go for Easter please join us at our church http://graceevfree.org/event/easter-sunday/

Now for some information on our life. We found out that Stuart has/had stage two cancer. The center of his tumor was very aggressive but the outside not as much. He will go through radiation treatment for 6-7 weeks for about 15-20 minutes 5 days a week as soon as his leg heals from his surgery. We were told that without treatment there is a 20 percent chance that the cancer would come back and 10 percent or less with treatment and only a 1-2 percent chance that the radiation treatment would cause cancer. We did get the absolutely great news that Stuart will not be radioactive during his treatment so he will be able to hold Aila! I am so happy about that!

Keep praying for us. We still have a ways to go in this journey and are so glad that so many people are going through it with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment