My sweet Aila goes straight for everything that can harm her. She wants sharp objects, power cords, and tiny pieces of anything that could get stuck in her throat. She would rather be in the kitchen than in her pack and play and loves to sit on any ledge and roll herself right off of it. It's amazing how quickly my hand can shoot out and catch her head before it hits the floor. Even in all of this I feel like I have some control, but not so last monday.
We got in the car at 8:30 in the morning. Stuart held Aila as much as possible so that she wouldn't think about eating. We entered the hospital and it was lovely. Obviously CHOC knows its children. We filled out the paper work and we waited. When we were finally called back Aila was given three different toys to play with as they checked her vitals. We were asked more questions and then it was time. I went into a room with Aila and laid her dow, holding her little arms as she freaked out while a mask was put on her face. In a minute she was out, the doctor covered her face and I was asked to leave. Tears streamed down my face as I went back to Stuart and we were escorted up to the third floor to wait. For two hours I had absolutely no doubt that I had no way to keep her alive. Stuart and I prayed as well as many others for Aila's safety.
The waiting room was beautiful, painted in cheerful colors, beautiful displays, a place for littles to sit and play and a therapy dog making its rounds. I appreciate all the effort CHOC has put into its building but the anxious parents peppered throughout the room staring at a monitor that told the progress of their child, reminded us all why we were there. I was fixed to the screen as it showed that Aila went from "pre-op" to "in progress" and finally "recovery". It was weird having Stuart there with me looking at that monitor waiting for Aila, when earlier that year I had Aila with me, waiting for Stuart.
Aila was irate when we went to get her but I couldn't help but smile when I took her from the nurse and into my arms. She calmed down quickly but in the process managed to take off every wire that was hooked on to her chest and toe. The nurse smiled and said she looked like she was doing fine and we wouldn't have to reconnect her. We were so happy to take her home. It took about an hour and she was back to her happy self.
Thank you so much for all the prayers and kind words. We appreciate them so much! You all have been a blessing to us. Now we wait until the 15th to talk with the doctor.
Side note: Stuart asked for a copy of the MRI and we looked through it when we got home. The mass looks crazy but it was crazier to see her brain and her teeth! We could see all her teeth in her head!! So weird!
No comments:
Post a Comment