I'm not sure I have ever felt comfortable helping some one in need of comfort. There are so many blog posts and articles that tell you what to say and what not to say that I find myself scared that I may say something terrible or do something unwanted. I want so bad to help, to comfort, to make the load easier that at times I can freeze up and not do anything. I feel that this last year has been one big lesson in how to comfort and love well. My church, family and friends have been my teachers.
I had a difficult pregnancy and when Aila was born it was absolutely wonderful, then two weeks later Stuart was diagnosed with cancer. This was a lot to bear. I had no idea what I needed or wanted or really anything, but many of you took care of us despite that. We were given words of encouragement, maybe not all were perfect (I really don't remember any that weren't) but I do remember feeling loved that so many people had words at all. We were given meals. Some of you dropped off meals, which was perfect, and others of you stayed and ate with us, which was also perfect. Some of you watched Aila while we talked to Stuart's doctors about what came next, others cleaned my kitchen, and still others came over to talk and make me feel a bit human. We were prayed for by many of you, some in person and others took time through out their day to silently lift us up before the throne. Some people have consistently checked up on us and others have stayed up to date by reading our blog and facebook posts. And some one recently called me up and said they wanted to order a pizza for us and have it delivered to our place, I had never even thought of doing that for some one before! We are so thankful for all of you!
I am amazed how much it means to have people just be there for you. I am so grateful for my church that loves so well. Seriously church, you've got meal trains, baby help, and prayer down! and we know that we are so blessed to be at a church who knows who we are and how we are hurting and rushes to our side. We are so grateful to Blizzard friends! It's been something like 6 years since Stuart worked there and still we have friends that reach out to us, bring us meals, even though you don't live close, and give us words of encouragement. You guys are awesome. We have friends that we haven't seen in years that are praying for us and friends that we have known for years that we can count on in the day to day.
All of this has been a tether to sanity for me. I never knew how important it all was. My prayer is that if any of you are ever in need, that I can be part of a tether for you. I am learning that not every one fills every role but rather a bunch of people help out in different ways. I can tell you right now my strength is not in sitting silently but I can watch your kids, or make you a meal, or clean or figure something out that needs figuring. You all are teaching me that there are many different roles that are all so important.
It is such a relief to have you all by our side. Thank you for teaching me by your actions.
I'm so glad you have been so well cared for this year! And what a year it was for you guys - sheesh!
ReplyDelete