Saturday, November 8, 2014

Our Story: How We Met

One of my friends from college has an amazing fashion blog (if you would like to have the link let me know) and has been posting her and her hubby's love story these last couple of weeks. I love hearing people's stories, and reading hers made me start thinking about my and Stuart's story. So for those interested, here is how Stuart and I met. I will post more about our story at various times but I thought the meeting was the obvious place to start.

I grew up going to a very, very, very small Christian school. So small that 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grade were all combined, bringing us to a classroom of about 25 students. So it is no wonder that when the teacher announced that the coming year we would be getting some new students, we girls wanted to know exactly how many of those new students would be boys. The girls joked that at this school we suffered from "lack-a-guy-ness", a dreadful and depressing disease. Most of us were going to be 8th graders the coming year and hadn't even dated anyone!

The small nature of the school also had a way of making some of us feel very important. My three friends and I had gone to the school since kindergarten and so we had the notion that we, in our own words "ruled the school"  but before some scene from Mean Girls starts playing in your head, my school was a Christian school and all four of us were all pretty strong Christians so though we ruled, we ruled in kindness...most of the time.

This notion was fueled by the fact that 8th grade would be our final year there as we were all going to a different high school the following year, so we all decided on the first day of school that this year would be the best one ever, then HE walked in. Somewhere in the background a girl called "dibs", it was not one of my three friends so it was dismissed. Dibs from a lower rank did not concern me.

He was quiet and shy. A 7th grader, he was 12 while I was in 8th grade and 13, but thanks to our school we were in the same class. I was taller than he was which didn't make much of a difference to me because he was hot. He stayed to himself and I couldn't bare the thought of him not having any friends. I had taken it upon myself to make sure that everyone at the school had a friend. I didn't like to see people alone but I knew I couldn't be the first one to friend him so I charged my friend Kevin (name changed to protect the innocent :) ) to go talk to him. Kevin was a great guy and a really great friend so I thought he would be a good fit and so Kevin went over and made a friend.

Later that week I saw Mr. Shy sitting alone again!, this time trying to open a ketchup packet at the lunch table. I would have never guessed that he had been noticing me as well and realized that I did not like it when people sat alone, so would you believe he sat alone on purpose!!! And do you think he couldn't open a ketchup packet? Please! He baited me and it couldn't have been easier. I was at his side in no time opening that packet and starting a conversation. And so it happened that I had met the love of my life and didn't even know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment